Job Description – P/T Middle School Academic Support Teacher
OUR MISSION: Roads to Success aims to promote the academic, social, emotional, and professional development of youth by delivering enriching academic and recreational programming, as well as a college access and career development curriculum. We engage young minds from Kindergarten through young adulthood to foster self-confidence, maturity, responsibility, and positive self-expression to encourage students to build pathways to the fulfillment of their goals.
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: RTS After School programs provide young people with creative learning opportunities, recreational activities, homework assistance, and snack. RTS emphasizes a safe and engaging environment, creative programming, and a staff training strategy that enables our young professionals to develop meaningful relationships with the students in their care.
Salary: Up to $42 per hour; based on experience
Hours: Depending on Program Site & Grant; 3-15 hours per week
Locations: PS/MS 57, Brownsville Collaborative Middle School, PS/MS 191 and Manhattan School for Children
Reports to: Program Director/Educational Specialist
- Focus small group academic support sessions on areas of ELA/Math need using curriculum / textbooks / workbooks provided by the school to create seamless support for school day academics.
- Responsible for all lesson plans, assignments, assessments, and other instructional materials and methods of teaching
- Collect, report, and analyze both quantitative and qualitative data about students and refine lesson plans accordingly
- Support a school culture of high academic and behavioral standards and create a supportive and engaging learning environment
- October-June. We prefer teachers that can commit to the entire session.
- Classes run every day the DOE is in session, excluding half-days and scheduled parent teacher conferences.
- 1st period 2:45-4:00
- 2nd period 4:00-5:15
- Lessons plans and curriculum based on organization's class description and goals
- Mid-semester progress reports to distribute to parents
- Bachelor Degree Required; Master Degree preferred
- Passion for the Roads to Success mission
- A minimum of 3 years teaching experience, preferably middle school (paraprofessionals will be considered)
- Experience developing curriculum and leading workshops
- Expertise in working with diverse populations of students and families and in differentiating instruction to support the needs of diverse learners
- Proven track-record of high achievement in the classroom and commitment to accountability
- A demonstrated openness and responsiveness to constructive feedback and a strong commitment to continuous growth
- Experience observing instruction and providing feedback to instructors
- Clear understanding of the youth development field
- Strong relationship building skills and ability to work with a team
Your cover letter should address why you are interested in working in youth development, and what skills or qualities you will bring to the role in which you are applying. In addition, please include a relevant lesson plan that you created.