JOB DESCRIPTION – PT LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT/SERVICE LEARNING INSTRUCTOR
OUR MISSION: Roads to Success aims to promote the academic, social, emotional, and professional development of youth by delivering enriching academic and recreational programming, as well as a college access and career development curriculum. We engage young minds from Kindergarten through young adulthood to foster self-confidence, maturity, responsibility, and positive self-expression to encourage students to build pathways to the fulfillment of their goals.
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: RTS After School programs provide young people with creative learning opportunities, recreational activities, homework assistance, and snack. RTS emphasizes a safe and engaging environment, creative programming, and a staff training strategy that enables our young professionals to develop meaningful relationships with the students in their care.
PRIMARY FUNCTION: The Leadership Development/Service Learning Instructor works with staff and students to develop a positive community culture at RTS programs and ensure that RTS' goals for children are being realized. Instructors are expected to cultivate meaningful relationships with, and be positive role models for the children they teach. The emphasis of the Instructor's role is on classroom and group management, as well as the development of a creative program culture through instruction which enhances the quality of life not only for the participants but for the entire school and the neighboring community.
• Reports to: Education Specialist
• Peer relationships: Instructors, Group Leaders
• Supervises: Students (Grades 6- 8)
• Min. Hours: Monday-Friday; 2:30PM-5:30PM
• Salary: $18- $23 per hour based on educational level and experience
- Lead approximately 50 minute activity sessions focusing on leadership development and service learning;
- Complete bi-weekly age-appropriate lesson plans;
- Provide new experiences for program participants in the classroom;
- Creatively incorporate academics into lessons;
- Exercise effective time management and an organized classroom;
- Work collaboratively with program staff to maintain order and participation in activities;
- Plan activities at least two weeks in advance which should include canvassing the community and conducting community surveys;
- Assist in planning and organizing functions and community events such as presentations, competitions, performances, etc.;
- Perform other related duties as requested or assigned by Site Director;
- Encourage a positive environment that fosters mutual support, community service, good humor and the desire to learn and grow;
- Attend all mandatory staff development and training sessions.
- Candidates must have a high school diploma. Must be enrolled in or have completed some college credits. (Associates or Bachelor's degree preferred)
- Experience facilitating activities and planning events
- Must have some experience working in middle or high school youth programs;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and positive rapport with children are required;
- Must show enthusiasm and positive attitude toward students and peers alike;
- Strong verbal communication skills, and willingness to accept constructive guidance from supervisors;
- Must be willing to learn and implement new strategies in motivation, encouragement and positivity;
- The ability to work as part of a team, take initiative, and follow through with minimal supervision
- Candidates seeking careers in youth development and education are preferred;
- Must be able to provide all necessary employee paperwork (Background check, references and updated medical).
Your cover letter should address why you are interested in working in youth development, and what skills or qualities you will bring to the role in which you are applying. In addition, please include a relevant lesson plan that you created.