Roads to Success empowers young adults to make education and career choices that match their individual skills and interests. Serving low-income communities from the Bronx to West Virginia, we believe that all young people, from all backgrounds, have the potential to succeed. Our program spans the critical years of adolescence, helping young adults explore college and career possibilities, develop education plans, and understand their own role in achieving success.
What do you want to do with your life once you graduate from high school?
What do you need to do to reach that goal?
At Roads to Success, we believe that the answers to these two questions are critical to student success – in middle school, high school, and beyond. It is our mission to instill in students a sense of self-efficacy – the knowledge that their actions make a difference – and provide practical skills they’ll need to realize their dreams.
- Integrated 6-year curriculum, grades 7-12
- Weekly in-school workshops designed to engage adolescents
- Internet-based college and career research
- Portfolios documenting student accomplishments
- Simulations that build critical thinking, teamwork, and leadership skills
We recognize that adolescence is a crucial time for students, a period when they become increasingly at risk of disengaging from school. Many students lack parental or other adult role models who have demonstrated to them the value of striving toward meaningful educational and career goals. In economically depressed communities, students are rarely aware of the wide array of careers available to them, and have little sense of the connections between schooling and a rewarding adult life.
RTS helps students develop plans for the future, stay focused on their schooling, and acquire critical skills to facilitate the transition from the teen years to adulthood. More concretely, the program is intended to increase rates of high school graduation and post-secondary education completion and foster career success.
Roads to Success can be implemented in any school district or educational setting willing to dedicate time and staff to this purpose.
This site has everything you need to run the Roads to Success curriculum is available for free to registered users, including:
- Carefully crafted lesson plans for 7-12 grade. These are easily adapted to the needs of guidance personnel, veteran teachers, or instructors new to the field and are free to use.
- Student materials such as Student Handbooks, Portfolios, and unit-by-unit Family Newsletters for each grade level.
- The Program Manual which includes information on the Roads to Success mission, our program and curriculum, instructional tips and guidance, suggestions for making the program work, and ways to evaluate program success.